Some good news!! Test results came back today and were negative! However, that does unfortunately mean that the ratties that were/are having congestion issues are naturally more respiratory sensitive I've marked down which ones are showing issues, and whether they are more concerning or mildly irritating (for the rats). The more concerning cases will not be available to the public, but the mild cases I will likely make available to experienced owners with any and all information I have on the symptoms I noticed while here. The majority of the ratties have been, and remain, healthy though!
Since all of the litters are now old enough to go to new homes, I will be working on getting their updated pictures posted asap. Tomorrow is my last day of work (well, my main job), meaning I'll have the summer off, so I should be able to finalize the pictures, get them posted, and update everyone on when reservations can happen by the weekend. Please bear with me, as I am still working on some of the personal things going on. I will finally have a bit more time on my hands for the media side of the critters soon though!
Thank you all for your kindness and patience lately!
**All adoptions are currently halted. I suspect SDAv may have somehow spread to my rats. I am waiting on test results before further action can be taken.**
I apologize for the delayed announcement. I thought I had published a post about this, but it didn't seem to go through. A few weeks ago, I noticed some of my rats getting sneezy. Sniffles during seasonal changes are to be expected, but I saw one of the babies with a swollen neck/lymph nodes. This is one of the main symptoms of SDAv, a viral infection that attacks their immune systems. Thankfully, this cannot be passed to humans, or any of my other critters. However, the other animals can carry it for a time and spread it back to the rats, so all breeding and adoptions have been halted until I get my results back.
If the test comes back positive, I will remain closed until the end of June while the virus burns out. There isn't a cure, so unfortunately, it has to burn out naturally. If the test comes back negative, I'll take note of the rats that were sneezy, especially some of the younger ones that are showing early signs of sensitivities, and will decide whether or not they are still fit for adoption. Adoptions will resume as scheduled, toward the end of this month if results are negative.
I also have a lot of personal matters I am currently dealing with, so I will be taking a step back from my website and social media. I know I haven't been very active as of late anyway, which I do apologize for. I do have to remind myself that I am one me running this all and balancing other aspects of my life, so taking a break is sometimes needed.
Thank you for your patience and understanding!